About this vehicle
The Austin Seven was introduced in 1923 and remained in production until 1939 with 290,000 produced. The name “Seven” refers to the car’s taxable horsepower. Britain as well as most European countries levied an annual tax based upon engine displacement. This was done to encourage conservation of expensive imported fuel. Because of this tax, tiny cars like the Seven became quite popular. The “Nippy” was a limited production sports roadster built on the Seven chassis. There were only 682 Nippy roadsters built between 1934 and 1937. Very few were exported to North America. The Elliott’s car was purchased new in 1936 by museum’s founder, Mr. Harmon Elliott who was President of the Elliott Addressing Machine Company of Cambridge, MA. The car was used as a “shore car” on board Mr. Elliott’s 63’ yacht, the NOMRAH (Harmon spelled backwards.) The car was placed in the Elliott’s auto collection in 1961 when the museum opened.
- Engine: 4-cyclinder, 747 cubic centimeters, thermosyphon cooling system, side valves, aluminum crankcase.
- Horsepower: 21
- Transmission: 4-speed sliding gear, synchromesh on 3rd and 4th
- Brakes: 4-wheel mechanical
- Left hand driven even though the car is British made